Anxious People by Fredrik Backman is one of the most anticipated and well loved book of the year 2020. I have had some great and a few not so good experiences with Backman’s books. Read my book review of Anxious People to know how it fared on my scale!
About the book
Book Name: Anxious People
Author: Fredrik Backman
Genre: Fiction – Drama
Characters: The bank robber, Roger and Anna Lea, Zara, Linnart, Estelle, Ro and Julia, Jim and Jack.
When things go spectacularly wrong, a bank robber tries to escape by entering into an apartment across the street. In a moment of panic, the robber ends up taking everyone there as hostages.
And the hostages being the apartment viewers scheduled in by the realtors. Unfortunately for the bank robber turned hostage-taker, the eight people in the apartment end up being the worst hostages ever.
They are anxious puddles themselves, they do not fear the gun nor the robber, they fight among themselves and they even order pizza for dinner. They even are worse at helping the police capture the bank robber.
Did they succeed in catching the robber? Did these anxious people hold themselves together until the end? Read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman to know more.
I have read Backman’s few other books and I can safely say Anxious People is very different from them. Anxious People is not a story of a person, it is about people and their quirkiness and their insecurities. It is about them looking out for a connection.
Anxious People is filled with well written and warm characters that will stay with you long after you finish reading the book. As the author correctly says, the book is full of “idiots” and yet you will adore them.
I loved how the author maintained the mystery/puzzle element throughout and the writing style helped it work. For some the writing style might seem slightly odd to get into but you will grow to love it, as I did.
What worked for me
- Anxious People was dark and hilarious and at the same time, it pulls the right strings of your heart.
- If you like Ove from A man called Ove, you are gonna love Estelle. In fact you will love all these characters.
- I loved Backman’s outlook into the human nature and struggle to fit in and be loved.
What may have been better
- The writing style is kinda odd. So if you find it hard to get into, give it a chance. You might end up loving it.
Suicide, Attempted suicide, Suicidal thoughts, Depression, Hostage crisis
Anxious People by Fredrik Backman is an endearing and hilarious book that will surely make you laugh out and even tear up at places. Another fabulous book by Backman!Man called Ove, A by Fredrik Backman
Similar book reviews
- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrik Backman
- Cobalt Blue by Sachin Kundalkar
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
- A Man called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Have you read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman? What is your favorite book from Backman’s? What are you currently reading? Let us talk.