Yesterday was my last day with my volunteering at Emirates Literature Festival 2021, here in Dubai. As expected we had a many virtual sessions with authors like Malala Yousafzai, Elif Shafak, Thomas Eriksson and Oyinkan Braithwaite and some in person sessions with authors who were able to come down.
Despite all these, it was just not the same because of the less crowd and all the other necessary protocols. The volunteers and the team underwent the PCR test before the event and we all maintained strict social distance.
We had about 20% of the usual crowd but I was glad to meet some bookworms who took all these with a stride and got meet their favorite authors.
I am kinda missing it already, even though I am really tired and my voice is coarse because I talked to so many people.
Quick January’21 updates
I am very disappointed to say January 2021 didn’t miraculously make all the problems of 2020 disappear. COVID is pretty much widely spread, the travel bans and social distancing are still there. There are bad presidents and worse politicians even after the new year’s eve.
Anyway what else happened to me personally during the month? Let me give you some of the highlights.
- After some really good months, the Covid cases in the UAE has been increasing. But with the excellent mass vaccination programmes around, I am desperately hoping there will be a fall soon.
- We had some foggy, winter mornings for exactly 5 days and then I guess we were done with the winter. But the weather is kinda good and pretty.
- A pretty good reading and viewing month. More about that follows in a bit.
What I read this month
I read 5 books last month and I am happy that I liked all of them. Yay me!
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
- Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
What I watched this month
I am on my 3rd (almost) rewatch of my favorite series House MD on Prime. But this is the first time that I am watching it in order, as a complete series. Needless to say I am loving it. Have you watched it?
I also watched the Idris Elba starring UK crime drama series Luther, which I really enjoyed. It had a Sherlock vibe, without witty dialogues.
On my blog
Book Reviews from January’21
Sunday personal posts from the month
Other posts from the month
In case you missed the posts from my blog, last week.
I will be linking today’s post with Caffeinated reviewer’s Sunday post Meme.
Let us chat
How was your weekend so far? Did you have a good January’21? What are your reading plans for the month ahead? Let’s talk.