I wish I could say that the week was good.
Though I don’t live in India right now, we keep tabs on what is happening there. While I am happy that the #MeToo campaign has been gaining momentum and lots of people, men and women, are speaking about it, it has definitely taken a toll on me mentally. Many people in the society, whom we have grown up listening to and admiring have been named and it is quite shocking.
While I am not surprised at the sheer number of women who have been harassed somehow, and I feel the number would be exponential if and when every person who has gone through something like that comes out and they have not yet, it is the reactions that the public has been giving to these allegations that is revolting.
‘Smear campaign’, ‘religious dispute’, ‘race for publicity’ and ‘commercial tactics’ are just few of them. It just gets me worked up just to hear them, especially when they come from people whom we think we know well.
It is a sad, sad world out there. I think I should never go out and just curl up with some books.
To be honest, I have been doing just that for the last two days.
What I read this week:
I finally got back to reading a bit this week.
I finished the Kitchen by by Banana Yoshimoto, and Nordic King by Karina Halle.
And I am currently reading Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu and they are going towards my A-Z reading challenge for the year 2018.
I have just started Moxie, and it talks about gender bias and rape culture. It is surely the kinda book that I have to be reading now.
What I watched this week:
In the spirit of Halloween or not, we have been watching lots of horror movies lately.
And I somehow ended up watching a Tamil movie called ‘13 aam number veedu’ (House number 13) that was released in 1990s on Youtube.
Guys, if at all you want to watch a badly made, ridiculous and hysterical horror movie, THIS IS IT. Sure I was not scared, but it made me wonder about the quality of all those 90’s movies.
What were we even watching?!!
I also completed Brooklyn 99 and I will be watching it again soon.
On the blog
A quick recap of the week’s post on my blog, in case you had missed any of them.
- We began the week with the Sunday Musings #19: One About Illusions And Horror Movies.
- On Monday I reviewed The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson.
- I spoke about my struggles with DNF-ing book on Wednesday on To DNF or not to DNF: Why don’t I give up on books?
- On Friday I posted Five Books I Wish I Had Read As A Middle Grader.
Around the blogosphere
Some of my picks from around the blog and the bookish world that I found during the week.
- Are you a perfectionist? Clo brought this awesome topic on her blog for discussion on perfectionism and how we handle it.
- I totally resonated with Holly’s post on Philip Roth’s sexist texts on her blog, Nut Free Nerd.
- I loved this interview of V E Schwab’s on Bookriot and on her take on why her women characters are so angry.
- I wanted to share this list of books with introverts, you know to appease all you, my introvert readers!
- If you were interested in rev-visiting high school mandatory reads, this list might come in handy.
- I found this brilliant article on creating and following through a habit at Better Humans. I am sure those tips will help anyone, even me.
I will be linking today’s post with Caffeinated reviewer’s Sunday post Meme.
What have you been up to, this week? Do you find yourself upset by this #MeToo movement? Leave me a link of your weekly wrap up and I will take a look. Let us talk.